Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Love You Rituals

Everyone has seen a babies face light up when they play "Patty Cake" with an adult. The one-on-one time, the complete attention of the parent, and the play time are eaten up by the baby who smiles, giggles and coos.
But what happens as babies get older? We stop doing those touching games with them. A book I've been reading called I Love You Rituals by Becky A Bailey explains that these types of games

  • boost brain potential
  • encourage cooperation and caring
  • promote learning and literacy
  • increase attention and decrease power struggles and
  • build bonds of unconditional love

I've really enjoyed the ideas for games I can play with Aleia. She loves the games and craves the attention.

So, for all the parents out there, I decided I would post a new 'I love you ritual' once a week, or one a month. (I haven't decided which yet) so that we can all build stronger relationships with our kids whom we love SO MUCH!

So watch for the new rituals, posted on the right.

When Aleia and I play this game at nap time (Good Night Elbow), she is a lot happier about taking a nap, knowing I'm not just trying to get rid of her, but still love her unconditionally. Try it out! See how they work for your family! I'd love to get feedback.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Dixie, I love this. Thanks for being willing to share. I will look forward to new games and ideas. I'll be trying out the Goodnight Elbow.

The Hansen Family said...

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to try them out. You are such an incredible Mom! :-)

Carrie and Tyson said...

What a cute idea. Thanks for posting!

Bethany said...

I'm so excited about the rituals! Andrew is still kind of young, but I'll be saving all of these for the future, too.

Melissa said...

Dixie, what an awesome idea! Let me know when you start doing them with Macie! I can't believe our little ones are 4 months old (almost). Soooo crazy how fast it has gone! You are such a cute mom. I will definitely be keeping the ideas for later. I need you to email me cause I lost your email and need to send you an invite to our blog. melissahhenderson@gmail.com
I would love to keep in touch with you guys better!